Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I swore I'd never be a blogger.

But I'll get off my high horse now.
I'd love to be a writer. I had this crazy idea when I was a kid that I was going to write for a newspaper. I never even took that dream seriously. It was more of a recurring one that only happened after I watched the scene from the Newsies: "I'm the King of New York". If you've seen it, thats the part when all the newsboys sing in a restaurant and couldn't be happier because they made the paper. Then they tap dance and snap their suspenders. I think it was the suspender snap that got me. I wanted something, or some one I wrote about to be immortalized in print. And I wanted to give them that suspender snappin', King of New York feeling....just by writing it down. Then I thought that maybe I could do that...for a living. I have very few qualifications other than some superbly written analytical historical papers. I never wrote for a school newspaper. I thought my college one blew. And it did/does. And I swore up and down that I wouldn't ever be a blogger; that there was something beautiful and poetic about the printed word that I just couldn't be without, even on my first time. But who am I kidding? Really, there's something incredibly pretentious and cliche about limiting poeticism to print and not to content. It's like only reading in a room that smells of old leatherbound books and cuban cigars. So I'm over that little bout of self-importance. Now I'm just going to write. And maybe people will read.
And that would be great

No comments:

Post a Comment